United Way of Madison County’s Free Tax Program
Call between January 16 and April 9 to set up your FREE appointment!
What is the Free Tax Program?
United Way of Madison County partners with AARP and Impact Alabama to offer a Free Tax Program. This service was created to assist families in several ways:
- Free tax preparation saves each family an average of $300 in fees.
- Many families do not know they are eligible for tax credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit.
- Families receive their funds fast so that refund anticipation loans with high interest rates can be avoided.
Our tax program is a high quality, free tax preparation and information service provided by trained, IRS-certified community volunteers.
You may qualify if you fit in one of the 3 categories below. You do not need to fit in all 3 categories to be eligible (just one of these must apply).
Household incomes less than $54,000
Individual incomes less than $25,000
Anyone 60 years of age or older
How to Prepare
If you have made an appointment, or are planning on making an appointment, you will need to bring the following items with you:
- A copy of last year’s state and federal tax return
- Photo ID for you and your spouse
- Social Security cards for each person to be listed on the return, including dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents
- Childcare Provider’s Name, address, and Tax ID number
- All 2018 income-related documents, such as:
- Unemployment compensation statements
- Form 1098 – Mortgage Interest
- Form 1099 – Interest and dividend statements from banks
- Brokerage statements showing the cost basis and date purchased for all securities (stocks and bonds)
- Proof of insurance
- All medical expenses, including:
- Doctor expenses
- Dental prescriptions
- Insurance premiums
- Miles driven in connection with medical appointments
- Charitable contributions
- A record of home mortgage and tax payments
- Personal property taxes, including:
- Auto tag receipts
- Taxes paid on major purchases
- A check with your name printed on it showing bank account and routing numbers
- Information from the IRS regarding 2018 State Tax Refund (for the 2017 tax year)
Also, if you have ‘out-of-state’ income, please let us know in advance so that we can add that state to our system. If you don’t let us know in advance, you may need to come back for a second appointment.
Thank you to these sponsors:
Explore Other Resources
If you would like to explore other community resources available to you pertaining to Education, Financial Stability, or Health, visit our Focus Area Goals & Resources Page.